Thursday, March 26, 2020

Thursday, March 26th

Good Morning Third Graders!

It was great to see so many of you yesterday. I loved being able to connect and check-in through Zoom and I plan to start doing this once a week. We will also continue to have our Friday Zoom hangouts, so I have posted that information for the two Zoom meeting times in the blog post below this one. For your learning goals, here is what I'd like you to try to work on today.


Reading:
For reading today, please listen to the last two chapters of Dyamonde Daniel. You can listen to chapters 7 and 8 of the book by clicking this link.

As we finish this shorter chapter book, take some time to reflect about how it ended compared to Because of Winn Dixie. Did the book wrap up the way you wanted it to, or did it leave you hanging? How did Dyamonde grow as a character, did she have as much growth as Opal did? Similar growth or different? Afterward, you can use the rest of the reading time to continue to do free reading. Please fill out the Reading Log Form after you finish so that I can be kept up-to-date with what awesome books you are reading!

Math:
For math today, please watch this video of Lesson 10 where you will see Mr. Duane talking you through the main idea of the lesson. After watching the video, please complete the problem set. Just like last week, I will post the answers to the problem set tomorrow. You do not need to do the homework unless you'd like some extra practice. If you finish with extra time, you can play Reflex or Zearn.

Here are the answers for Lesson 9 Problem Set:


Science:
We are going to start a new unit about Animal Adaptations for science! Please watch this PowerPoint video where I will talk you through the presentation. You will need to have the paper copy of the Animal Adaptations notes pages in front of you to take guided notes like we would in class. If you have not received the packet I mailed to you yet, that's okay. Listen to the presentation today and then go back and fill in your notes on another day. As I mention in the presentation, here is a really cool video about baby sea turtles hatching and making their way to the ocean. It's an amazing example of an animal instinct!

Social Studies:
For social studies, I'd like you to continue to work on your research, writing, and final draft pages for our China Alphabet book. Remember if you forget what possible topic ideas are, here is the list. Please pay attention to writing the information in your own words and also remembering to put down where you got your information from. Try your best to write about 5-8 sentences (or whatever fits on your page) about your topic and be thinking about including just the most important information so that you can help teach other people about what you researched. If you aren't finding much information on the databases, ask an adult to help you with a Google search for some more information.

Here is a very silly read-aloud titled Teach Your Giraffe to Ski that Baby Boy Bryant received as a present and I just had to share with you all!