I hope you all had a good weekend and were able to get outside and get some fresh air. Hopefully, you are making a point to get some outdoor (and movement) time each day since it is so easy to get cooped up inside.
Reading:
For our reading unit, we are going to start a new read-aloud called Dyamonde Daniel: Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel and work to compare her with Opal from Because of Winn Dixie. You can listen to the first two chapters of the book by clicking this link.
Think about how this new character Dyamonde is similar or different from Opal. Feel free to jot down some thoughts and send them to me if you'd like (or include them in your reading log response!) Afterward, you can use the rest of reading time to continue to do free reading. Please fill out the Reading Log Form after you finish so that I can be kept up-to-date with what awesome books you are reading!
Writing:
Please start by writing 5-8 strong sentences about your weekend. Remember to use details including what you did, how you felt, who was with you and more. Afterward, here is our writing lesson:
In the packet I mailed were many activities about poetry. Since most of your packets haven't arrived yet, here is a planning sheet for the type of poem I'd like you to write. It's called a diamante poem. I encourage you to be creative and to try writing a few different ones.
Math:
Today we are going to try to do a new lesson in our math module. Please watch this video of Lesson 7 where you will see Mr. Duane talking you through the main idea of the lesson. I was hoping to be able to post videos of me teaching, but I am having some difficulty with the size of the files. After watching the video, please complete the problem set. Just like last week, I will post answers to the problem set tomorrow. You do not need to do the homework unless you'd like some extra practice. If you finish with extra time, you can play Reflex or Zearn.
Here are the answers for Lesson 5 Homework from Friday:
Science:
Please use your Studies Weekly login information to go online and read the Health magazine for week 4 "Healthy Living." Again, you can do the quizzes and earn some points for Rev the Rat!
Cursive:
Please complete cursive letter 'm' on pages 60-61 in your books. Since you do not have me doing the demonstration, please trace over the letters at the top of the page. Notice that with letter 'm' you make an extra bump at the beginning of the letter. It looks a little weird at first!

