Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tuesday, April 7th

Hello, my favorite people!
I hope that you were able to get outside and enjoy some of the sunshine yesterday. I took a long walk around my neighborhood and tried to notice the little things such as flowers poking through the ground, rainbows and other signs people had on their windows, and the birds chirping overhead, it was lovely. Here are your distance learning goals for today.
MindUP:
For something special today, I would like to encourage you to make a list of three (or more!) things that you are grateful for. Remember that having feelings of gratitude can help our brains work better by relaxing the amygdala and allowing the information to flow freely from the hippocampus to the prefrontal cortex. Once you have brainstormed three things you are grateful for, please illustrate one of them and I'd like you to bring it to our Zoom check-in meeting tomorrow to share with the class. I will be doing the activity as well!

Reading:
For reading today, please listen to the next two chapters of The Absent Author, you can find it by clicking this link. While listening or reading your own mystery books, think about taking some notes or keeping a list nearby of clues, possible suspects, and motive (the reasoning for why someone did something). This will help you review the information and be sure you don't miss anything important!

Afterward, you can use the rest of the reading time to continue to do free reading. Please fill out the Reading Log Form after you finish so that I can be kept up-to-date with what awesome books you are reading! I love checking out what you are reading and seeing your thoughts and ideas related to your books!

Math:
For math today, please watch this video of Lesson 17 where you will see Mr. Duane talking you through the main idea of the lesson. Noticing that today while you are placing fractions on the number line, you might be placing them at spots that a greater than 1 whole, so pay careful attention to how the number line is labeled!

After watching the video, please complete the problem set. I will post the answers to the problem set tomorrow. You do not need to do the homework unless you'd like some extra practice. If you finish with extra time, you can play Reflex or Zearn.

Here are the answers for Lesson 16 Problem Set:


Science:
Today I would like you to work on the "Animal Adaptations mini-book" that was mailed home to you. There are 4 pages in total. As I explained in the morning video above, you are going to fold the first three pages so that the white sides of the paper are touching. Then if you have a stapler at home you can staple them in order (if you don't have a stapler you can also just work on the book as flat pages). The last page that has the rectangles with dashed lines are the information you cut out to fill the book. I encourage you to use your guided notes from last week to help you put the correct information on the correct pages!

Social Studies:
For social studies, please read Studies Weekly Magazine week 21 "Changing the Environment." You can log into Studies Weekly here. Remember by answering the comprehension questions you can earn points for your own Rev the Rat!